You may on occasion have encountered an issue after clicking an icon or tool in which your computer seems to lock up. It may seem like there’s a problem with the software, but in fact, it is often simply that a window has appeared just as it should have, but not in a location that’s visible. We’ve all been there. As frustrating as this issue can be, I can share with you a simple fix that will resolve it in most cases.
This circumstance can occur for a couple of different reasons. The most common is when you are using multiple monitors and have either copied your settings over from another computer or if you have disconnected and reconnected your computer from the monitors, especially if you’re using a laptop. The former can affect the save truss dialog, since those coordinates are saved in the user.ini file, and the latter can occur for that and other windows if you don’t move windows back to your main display or disable “extended desktop” mode before disconnecting the monitors. In either case, the windows will be appearing off screen and out of reach.
There is a simple keyboard tip that you can use to resolve this issue.
Here is how you can recover a hidden dialog window:
- With the window active, press Alt+Space+M on your keyboard.
For example: If the Save Truss dialog is missing, first click on the save icon to activate the dialog window.
- This will enter the window into a “move mode”, allowing it to be relocated. You should see your cursor turn into a cross of arrows as seen here:
- If you now press any arrow key on your keyboard, the missing window will lock onto your cursor, allowing you to move it to visible area of one of your monitors.
- Click once on your mouse to release and place the window and you’re done! You’re window is accessible once more.
- Where applicable, you may need to click “OK” rather than “Cancel” on the dialog box you’ve moved in order for the new location to be updated so that it will not be off screen the next time you access it.
If you run into this issue and need any further software support please reach out to our Helpdesk team.
Helpdesk: 866.237.2878 Or submit a support ticket: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email Support: email@example.com